Ultramarines & Adeptus Custodes - 2,000 points



All comments and feedback welcome here, more of my theory crafting but I am interested to see what people think. 

The good news for the Ultramarines is that they cannot be locked down in combat to prevent them shooting, although I have very little protection from that horde of Genestealers appearing 9" away, or anything deepstriking basically. 

The List:

Army Keyword - Imperium

Battalion - Key Word - Ultramarines



Primaris Captain - Master Crafted Bolt Rifle, Santic Halo, Walord Trait -Adept of the Codex
Primaris Lieutenant - Master Crafted Auto Bolt Rifle

Intercessor Squad, 5 Marines, Bolt Rifles
Intercessor Squad, 5 Marines, Bolt Rifles
Intercessor Squad, 5 Marines, Bolt Rifles

Repulsor, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Twin Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter x 3, Krakstorm Launcher x 2, Fragstorm Launcher x 2

Repulsor, Las-Talon, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Twin Lascannon, Storm Bolter x 3, Krakstorm Launcher x 2, Auto Launchers


Vanguard Detachment - Key Word - Adeptus Custodes



Shield-Captain in Allarus Terminator Armour, Guardian Spear, Misericordia

Vexilus Praetor in Allarus Terminator Armour, Vexilla Magnifica
Allarus Custodians, 4 Custodians, Castellan Axe x 4
Custodian Wardens, 5 Wardens, Guardian Spear x 5, Misericordia x 5

Total Points: 7
Drops: 6 - 8

The Plan
The Ultramarines are going to be an advancing wall of Armour, dropping off Marines to hold specific objectives. 

While the Adeptus Custodes are going to be my deep strike threat. 

I will likely be spending 3 Command points pre Game - Allowing the Custodian Wardens to Deep Strike, and marking the Shield Captain as a Victor of the Blood Games. 

This saves me 4 command points for either splitting the Custodians the turn after they arrive, or for intelligent use of the Concussive Grenades to deny overwatch, and provide -1 to hit in that combat phase. 

It doesnt have a lot of units, but all of the units other than the Transports & HQ;s for the Ultramarines have Objective Secured, which should put me in a good space for contesting or claiming objectives. 

For me personally it doesnt leave me with too many units to purchase (as I can pick up the Wardens & extra box of Allarus Custodians easily enough).

I dont think this has the answer to all forms of enemy armies, but I think this will be more fun to play than the lists I have used before as it really does have something to do in all the phases, bar the Psychic one, whereas normally I am all about the shooting with a little bit of movement.


Plus... those Custodians look outstanding and are fun to paint (and this gets me a little bit closer to a 2k list for them!)

Comments