Eternal Warrior (2000 point) Tournament Round up



What did we learn:


When I saw the army lists:

Spam is still king, and without tournament Comp probably will continue to be, it also allows some armies to seriously reduce the number of drops they have getting that precious first turn. 


When I played game 1:


Stormravens & Dreadknights can put out a lot of firepower, and going first or stealing the initative is pretty much a requirement.


Transports would also have helped immensely by saving most of my guys from death by volley fire (although to whack all of my guys in transports would have cost another 140 points, and dropping of the Lieutenant & Hellblasters


Finally Primaris marines die far too quickly for the wound. 
Three Inceptors arent enough...


Drop Pods help score tactical objectives quite nicely. 


When I played game 2:

Knights arent as scary as they look to be, but almost certainly require a lot of your firepower to deal with. 


Had I used the shots I sent at the Knight into all the other models on the table I would have had a much more successful game, focusing the fire on the Knight might have helped (a lot potentially), but reducing the number of guys he had to shoot at me would have helped more I think! 


Three Inceptors arent enough...

Drop Pods help score tactical objectives quite nicely. 
When I played game 3:


Kastelan robots, 4 of them with the protocol allowing them to shoot twice can very very easily knock out two 10 man units of marines a turn. 


Seriously I lost 37 marines in two turns of shooting to these guys... now to be fair thats my fault for not assessing the threat properly, I could have looked to pop that unit down pretty quickly, however with an Imperial Knight charging at me (and with it being the most likely threat to my Landraider... I had to kill it and kill it quick.


Three Inceptors arent enough...


Drop Pods help score tactical objectives quite nicely. 


After a couple of days thought:


So its a brave new world, and there are lots of units out there we need to learn about, proper threat assessment is required to deal with your enemy and I got it wrong in my second and third game. 

Had I focused out most of the five man units of Chaos Space Marines, or the Terminators or Obliterators I would have potentially forced a draw in game 2, and in game 3 I should have switched my fire to the Kastellans as early as possible! 


In Summary:

A great learning experience, and some good food for thought with an uplift in my 40k games coming in the next few months.


Primaris guys seem cool (and they are), but without significant buffs in the new codex I am not worried about them replacing Space Marines anytime soon, and this unfortuately means that as much as I love them I am likely to drop them from any competitive style lists I write.

Drop Pods while 105 points are much better with four rather than 2 shots at that 12" range, and do take a bit to shift.



Comments