Deadzone: The Mistake I made


As a blogger I hold myself accountable for all the posts I put up onto my Blog, at least the ones I wrote! 

When I find mistakes I don't take the post down, I edit it. 

In my edits I will update the post, normally in a different colour, and leave the original post present with a Strike through in it. 

I made a mistake recently. 

A Huge one! 

What was that mistake? Well find out after the jump.





So Huge, I posted it as a review onto Bell of Lost Souls, where according to blogger it has been viewed some 4500 times! 

I could keep quiet. 

I could edit the post before someone catches me out on it.

I didnt. 

I have updated the post, both on my Blog & BoLS, with blue text to show when I changed it, and left the original content in it. 

So what was my mistake? 

Well for Deadzone, it came under the turns section of the game. It came about because normally a 'turn' in my mind encompasses all the actions a player can take, and after that they can go back to the beginning, and begin the turn anew. 

In the case of Deadzone, the terminology changes. 

Each 'turn' is deemed a Round, and a turn is a subset of a round. I.e you can have multiple turns in one Round. 

So what was my mistake? 

Well for those of you wishing to read it in its full internet fail context, you can find it here

I originally wrote:

Deadzone uses an alternating model activation sequence. Your commander’s level determines how many models you can activate per turn. So if I activate my Enforcer Sniper, then my Opponent gets to active his Marauder Commando, and then I get to activate another model and so on.

You don’t get to activate your entire force (unless its very small) each turn. So you need to choose which models to activate, and to react to what your enemy does.

Each model gets either two Short Actions or one Long Action in their turn. They can also have one Battlecard played on them, which can grant bonuses to survival checks, or an extra action.

Players alternate models until one player has activated all of theirs, and then the other player gets to activate their models one after another until they run out of models they can activate.

Sounds fine doesnt it, a simple you go, then I go, one model at a time, allowing you to quickly react to your Opponent. 

However, that explanation doesn't do this mechanic justice. 

Below is what I should have written

Deadzone is split into several rounds.

A Round will consist of multiple Player turns.

In Each Player turn they may activate their commanders command total in models (this varies from 2-6 models).

If at any point in your turn, you have less models left to activate than your opponent you may end your turn to force your Opponent to activate their models. 

At this point, your Opponent will need to activate a minimum of two of their models (or have run out of models to activate), which then means they have less models to activate than you and can therefore pass off their activation to you.

Larger strike teams can always struggle to finish the round first (a players round is finished when all their models have been activated). Because they will generally have less models to activate, but once they have activated their maximum for their turn, their opponent can activate all of theirs in one turn, thus ending their round. 

Each model gets either two Short Actions or one Long Action in their turn. They can also have one Battlecard played on them, which can grant bonuses to survival checks, or an extra action.

So how does this change my opinion of Deadzone? 

Well only for the better... this means that the better your commander, the more fully you can react to an opponents actions.

Sure if you let a Plague player go first and he has a 1st Gen in charge, you have to survive upto 6 models being activated before you get to react, but when you react you can always react using your entire force.

You can effectively squash the nearest threat, and by activating all of your models at once you get to go first in the next round (which you can choose to pass if you want), which then allows you to squash another threat. 

This is an amazing mechanic, one I am kicking that I mis-read, but all it does is make me want to play Deadzone more!

Comments

Hey, wait, I've been doing it wrong too, but in a different way.

So players' rounds are untethered from each other?

Like, Enforcers could be on round 3 but Plague are on round 1? Is that hypothetically correct?

Wow, no wonder my Enforcers got stomped.
Actually, I misread your last paragraph. Ignore the first post.

Actually, what I find is cool tactically about Enforcers is that they can keep passing on their turn and force Plague to keep activating their units since they will potentially always have fewer units to activate.

You can basically screw up your opponents rhythm pretty badly, which is sometimes better than just going all at once (although that is often still the best thing to do.)
Kraggi said…
This change completely changes how I pick my strike force, and I was very glad when someone pointed it out to me.

It can end up as a My Model, then your Model, then my Model,

But at any point someone could activate all their models to leap upon a mistake you make.

Really do love the ruleset for deadzone!