Chaos Daemons - First Look



For the first time since Grey Knights were released all that time ago I decided it was time to start a new army.

The Necron release simply allowed me to bring my 3 Monoliths & 60+ Warriors out of a box and onto the table top, so I dont count them as a new army.

Chaos Daemons however are something I have flirted with on and off since they first got their own Codex.

I own two Daemon Prince models that I have had for a while, neither with wings, and both used once I think in 5th edition.

I never played with the new Daemon supplement that came out in White Dwarf, and due to my lack of experience with armies like this I think that cataloging my successes and failures is probably a good place to start.

Coupe of caveats to bear in mind as well. I like to try and avoid the obvious armies, the 'netlists' that are out there, variety is the spice of life as they say so what I hope to avoid is building a list that matches the 'must have' units from the Codex.

With that in mind below is my first 1500 point list.

Bloodthirster - Exalted & Greater Reward, Warlord
Herald of Tzeentch, Level 2, Exalted Locus of Conjuration
Horrors x 15, Instrument of Chaos & Blasted Standard
Plague Bearers x10, Icon & Instrument of Chaos
Bloodletters x 16, Blood Reaper, Instrument of Chaos, Banner of Blood
Flesh Hounds x 5
Flamers x 5
Daemon Prince of Khorne, Warpforded Armour, Mark of Khorne, Daemonic Flight, Exalted & Greater Reward
Flaming Chariot of Tzeentch
Aegis Defence Line

Now reading this back this isnt one of my normal style lists. I normally write a list out with a clear way of winning .This list has no clear focus for me.

I wanted to try out Flying MC's so decided this would be a give me a good look at the options them present. Although not sure I would keep this as the total points spent on the two of them was 570!

My first game with this list was against a Tau gun line. No Skyfire and only one Interceptor (for the Quad Gun).

A couple of highlights for when playing the game.

Flying MC's do not have to start in reserve... they are not flyers they are Flying MC's!
  • Failing two of your psychic tests in the openeing couple of turns sucks.
  • Forgetting that your Bloodthirster has a Lash does put you at a disadvantage
  • The Flaming Chariot does not have a Weapon to destroy so 1/3 of damage results immobilise it instead.
  • Horrors, Bloodletters, Flamers & Hounds are squishy when shot at by lots of things.
  • If you have a re-roll on the Warpstorm table its useful but not game changing without extreme results of amazingly flukey dice!
I lost my game 4-11 as he didnt find the time or firepower to shift the plague bearers, but equally I only had my Bloodthirster (who had technically died and come back) and Daemon Prince left attacking his position.

My second game didnt go much better and it never helps when you fail your first grounding test from the first shot fired at you!

Tactically I made a whole raft of mistakes, but you only learn by doing stuff wrong, and I learnt plenty from this game!

So what would I do differently in future? Well I would look at changing my army list for a start.

Thinking of dropping the Daemon Prince in Favour of another Herald style model, and then boosting both the Flamers & Flesh Hounds to more respectable numbers.

Next week a post on how this list has changed over the games I have played.

Comments